Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) is categorised as an inflammatory condition that leads to joint pain and stiffness, commonly affecting individuals older than 50. It is difficult to diagnose, and currently impossible to cure. The best pharmaceutical treatments for the condition involve combating the symptoms with low-dose corticosteroids, which is problematic as long-term use of corticosteroids can lead to osteoporosis.
Recently, individuals are turning to various alternative treatments and natural remedies in an attempt to help symptoms of PMR holistically, which will be covered in this article.
What are the Best Pain-Relief Treatments for Polymyalgia Rheumatica?
Choose a Healthy DietAlthough a healthy diet may not fix the problem outright, certain foods can definitely worsen the symptoms of PMR. When choosing what foods you should eat, consider sticking to the following guidelines:
- Anti-Inflammatory Foods such as nuts, fruits, leafy greens, whole grains, and green tea can contribute to a decrease in inflammation throughout the body.
- Foods rich in Calcium and Vitamin D, such as soybeans, spinach, cheese, fatty fish, eggs, and mushrooms can help maintain good bone health and counter the negative effect of steroids and corticosteroid medicines.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids obtained from fish, seeds, and leafy greens can help counteract the immune system's further production of inflammation.
Take SupplementsIf certain foods are unattainable, they can be replaced with supplements in order to give your body the necessary nutrients that it needs.
Consider Alternative MedicinesTraditional Chinese Medicines have been reported to have varying effects in the holistic treatment of rheumatic conditions.
- Corydalis (Yu Jin) contains a pain-relieving compound called dehydrocorybulbine (DHCB), and Curcumae (Jiang Huang) has been noted to reduce chronic inflammation.
- Chinese massages have been known to free up stiff and sore shoulders (a common symptom of PMR), promote vigour and strength, and soothe pain.
- Acupuncture has been associated with relieving pains associated with arthritic and rheumatic conditions.
Using CBD Oil for Polymyalgia RheumaticaAlthough CBD oil may not directly treat PMR, certain products can help with certain symptoms as there is scientific evidence to support the theory that CBD has anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties.
- CBD oils and tinctures can be taken to reduce general inflammation throughout the body over a longer period.
- CBD balms and creams can be applied topically to particularly inflamed or painful areas.
Can CBD Be Taken in Conjunction With Corticosteroids (Prednisone)?CBD interacts with many drugs, and, unfortunately, corticosteroids are one of the most prominently noted. CBD and prednisone both are potent inhibitors of the cytochrome P450 enzyme CYP3A. Taking them in conjunction could lead to a decrease in the clearance of the corticosteroid, which is a measurement of the volume of plasma from which a substance is completely removed per unit time.
This interaction is potentially dangerous as it could lead to increased side effects from prednisone, namely, among others:
- Weight gain
- Muscle weakness
- Lower resistance to infection
- An onset of, or worsening of, diabetes and hypertension.
A Final Thought: Can CBD Oil Replace Prednisone?Due to the potential for increased side effects, it is not advised that CBD oil and prednisone be taken in conjunction with one another. Since corticosteroids have the potential to cause osteoporosis in the long term, CBD may be considered as a potential replacement in the future, but there is currently no scientific evidence to support this theory.
What this means for you is that you should consult directly with your doctor before deciding to end your medication as they can give you more insight and advice on the topic.