Side Effects of King Oyster Mushrooms
King Oyster mushrooms, the largest of the oyster mushroom family, may have some potential side effects. Learn about them here.
Updated April 14, 2023.
King Oyster mushrooms, the largest of the oyster mushroom family, offer a very earthy and meaty flavour that makes them a popular choice for many different dishes and cuisines. Like many other species of mushrooms, they offer numerous health and nutritional benefits, but do they pose a risk of adverse reactions? Read on to learn more about the side effects of King Oyster mushrooms.
» Find the perfect mushroom blend for your condition - take our free quiz
Common Side Effects of King Oyster Mushrooms
Truthfully, there is extremely limited research into the side effects of most mushroom species, including King Oyster mushrooms. That being said, the people who commonly experience side effects from mushrooms are likely to experience similar side effects from all mushrooms. Additionally, the risk of side effects from consuming mushrooms usually occurs due to overconsumption, and generally ends once consumption is ceased.
As such, some general side effects from mushrooms include:
- Gastrointestinal issues Consuming large quantities of any fungus may stress the stomach and cause gastrointestinal issues like upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea.
- Rash Some people may experience a rash when consuming mushrooms, as discussed in Benefits of Shiitake Mushrooms for Skin Health.
- Headache and dizziness In some cases, individuals sensitive to mushrooms may experience dizziness and headaches from consuming too many King Oyster mushrooms.
Aside from these general side effects, some studies have suggested that King Oyster mushrooms may cause respiratory issues, but more research is needed before definitive conclusions can be drawn.
Who Should Avoid King Oyster Mushrooms?
Despite the relatively low risk of side effects from mushrooms in general, certain people should exercise caution, such as the following:
- Those with mould allergies King Oyster mushrooms are a fungus, and so anyone with a mould or fungal allergy will likely suffer an allergic reaction when consuming them.
- Diabetics Many functional mushroom species offer some hypoglycemic effects that may be dangerous for those on diabetic medication.
- Those with bleeding disorders Those who have blood disorders, or those expecting surgery, may suffer extra adverse effects when consuming mushrooms.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding mothers The effects of mushrooms on pregnant or breastfeeding mothers have not been studied, and so it's best to err on the side of caution and avoid them outright.