5 Natural Ingredients for Anti-ageing Skincare at Home
Published March 1, 2023.
There are so many skincare products on market shelves. Sadly, many of them are loaded with chemicals that give you quick results, but they may damage your skin in the long run. Using natural ingredients will benefit your skin much more.
You should look for natural products that suit your skin type and won't have any side effects. That being said, here are our top 5 picks for natural anti-ageing skincare ingredients you can use at home.
» Discover the best ways to treat stress rash at home
1. Hyaluronic Acid
Hyaluronic acid is an essential component of the extracellular matrix, which provides structural support to your skin, and is present throughout the tissues in your body. It is also involved in wound healing, and offers the following skincare benefits:
- Hydration Hyaluronic acid is known for its ability to retain water, helping the skin maintain its elasticity.
- Reduces wrinkles It also acts as a collagen and elastin stimulant, helping to restore facial volume and fight wrinkles.
- Joint health Hyaluronic acid is also important for joint health as it helps lubricate and cushion your joints, which can reduce inflammation and stress throughout the body.
However, the amount of hyaluronic acid in our skin tends to decrease as we age, leading to dryness, fine lines, and wrinkles. Using skincare products with hyaluronic acid improves skin hydration and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
You can replenish hyaluronic acid through your diet with foods such as almonds, avocados, potatoes, and soybeans.
» Try our Anti-ageing Serum with hyaluronic acid
2. Shea Butter
Shea butter is one of the top natural ingredients used in making cosmetics and other skincare products. It contains compounds such as cinnamic acid which may help to reduce wrinkles and improve skin elasticity (1) through the following methods:
- Moisturizes skin Shea butter contains fatty acids and natural vitamins which moisturize and hydrate your skin. This can be especially helpful for those with dry skin.
- Reduces inflammation It has anti-inflammatory properties, making it ideal for soothing irritated or inflamed skin. Shea butter is used to treat skin disorders such as rashes, blemishes, eczema and psoriasis, and even sunburn.
- Sun protection It also contains antioxidants such as vitamin E which protect the skin from environmental stressors like pollution and UV radiation.
» Try our Skin Lifting Cream with shea butter
3. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter offers great benefits when applied to your skin as it contains essential minerals such as vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids. It is great for the following:
- Sun protection The antioxidants and polyphenols in cocoa butter enhance the skin’s photoprotection against the sun’s UV rays. This is crucial for maintaining skin health.
- Reduced risk of wrinkles These antioxidants also protect your skin from environmental stressors that can lead to premature aging. It may also help to improve skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles (2).
- Effective skin moisturization Cocoa butter is a rich source of fatty acids, which helps keep the skin hydrated and supple.
» Try our Cleansing Balm with cocoa butter
4. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is one of the most popular natural ingredients used in skincare and can be found in many herbs, fruits, and vegetables such as bell pepper and citrus. Rosehip is one of the riches sources of vitamin C (3), and offers the following benefits:
- Anti-ageing properties Vitamin C has powerful antioxidant properties that help reduce the physical signs of stress and aging.
- Improves skin elasticity Vitamin C helps you retain a youthful complexion by stimulating the production of collagen.
- Healing It can even help repair sun-damaged skin and reduce the appearance of scars.
- Brightening Vitamin C can help to brighten the skin by reducing the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
» Try our Formulaging Tablets with vitamin C
5. Ethyl Macadamiate
Ethyl macadamiate is a natural, colorless liquid extracted from macadamia seed oil, one of the best all-natural ingredients for skincare due to the following benefits:
- Reduces wrinkles Extracts of macademia oil contain antioxidants that protect your skin and slow down signs of aging. Ethyl macadamiate has a low molecular weight, so it can penetrate your skin easily and deliver other active ingredients deeper into your body.
- Moisturizes and hydrates skin Ethyl macadamiate is an emollient and moisturizing ingredient that helps to hydrate your skin. It softens and conditions your skin, helping prevent moisture loss.
- Smoothens skin Ethyl macadamiate has a silky texture that helps smoothen out the skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
» Try our Antioxidant Cream with macadamia seed oils
Combine Ingredients for Maximum Benefit
Hyaluronic acid, shea butter, cocoa butter, vitamin C, and ethyl macadamiate are among the most popular natural ingredients used in anti-aging skincare, but you aren't limited to just one. Instead, you can combine them all to increase their benefit without the risk of side effects from harsh chemicals.
Add the above-mentioned products to your anti-ageing skincare regime to keep your skin looking healthy and radiant for years to come.